In spite of the ferocity that lions are assumed to have, they are beautiful creatures that actually tend to flee from people when they see them. When a lion feels threatened, however, it will attack. Knowing how to survive a lion attack can be extremely helpful when approached by an angry lion.
Tips for Dealing with an Angry Lion
There are a few tips and techniques that can increase your chances of surviving, and even preventing, a lion attack.
- First and foremost, do not panic. This is a hard thing to do in such a terrifying situation, but staying calm will keep your mind sharp and focused, which will increase your chances of survival.
- Do not run. You must show the lion that you are more threatening than he is. Get next to the lion and clap your hands, shout, and wave your arms. Make yourself seem fierce.
- Slowly back away. While throwing your arms around and shouting, back away slowly, but do not turn your back to the lion. Continue to portray yourself as threatening.
- Be prepared if the lion charges. When a lion charges, you can scream from the depths of your stomach, the loudest sound that you can manage, and raise your hands. Once the lion backs down, stop your aggression and walk away.
See how to survive a lion attack here:
Tips for Fighting a Lion
Sometimes, attempting to prevent a lion attack fails, and you end up literally fighting with a lion. There are some techniques you can use to gain the upper hand.
- Make sure to remain standing during the fight. This will give you a chance to see the entire lion and look for areas that are weak.
- Aim for the lion’s face. Typically, you will aim for the face and eyes of the lion, punching and kicking the body as you can. Hitting in the face and eyes will help weaken the lion’s fight, giving you an upper hand.
- Seek medical attention immediately if you are hurt.
The Bottom Line
Lions will not commonly start a fight with a human. Lions are most likely to attack if you disturb them while mating or if you go around their cubs. However, if you find yourself in the middle of a fight with a lion, you can use these tips, survive, and have an amazing story to tell.